[VM][ENH] LowSpaceAndInterruptHandler-dtl

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Apr 4 18:14:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 09:50:13AM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Thanks for the code but let's not get too fast with this - I am still
> trying to understand why you could make the crash happen reliably... in
> some ways this doesn't make sense (since the failure should be triggered
> statistically) and I'd rather see that we either have situations in
> which we do not fail or that we understand why exactly we can repeat
> this behavior with 100% reliability (my explanation does not explain that).

It depends on how much time elapses between the low space condition
and the arrival of the signal to the semaphore. If more than 500ms is
consistently being used for garbage collection, then your explanation
holds up very well. (Note: I am using a relatively slow 850MHz Pentium).

Dave

p.s. Speaking of going to fast, there is now a Mantis report
corresponding to this at http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=1041.
My posting was intended only as a draft proposal; I should not
have put the [ENH] tag on the message.