contemplating a VM fork.

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 8 17:47:08 UTC 2005

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> I was under the impression that the unix VMs
> normally had everything internal on the grounds of simplest installation; *nix
> seems to lack any sensible way to gather a bunch of files together to assemble
> an app. OSX has at last grasped the idea of an application directory in the
> manner of 18 year old RISC OS ideas, something that makes it really simple to
> have a single user-level entity that can have an arbitrary collection of code,
> resource, text and application files under it.

Exactly.  OSX's bundles made me see the light about what's been screamed
about by Mac guys and that RISC OS guy.  Surely nothing stops someone
from adding a "directory" or "bundle" executable format in Linux (and
other Unices).  Such a thing would be analagous to the "interpreter"
executable format that supports the #! hack.

But it's not there now.

-Lex