[Fwd: Network performance on Mac and Linux]

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Mon Aug 29 19:47:08 UTC 2005

Andreas Raab wrote:

> I'm wondering whether TCP_NODELAY should be default on or off for
> Squeak.   The default should be the same on ALL platforms, in any case,
> and documented.   For "real-time" stuff like Croquet and VoIP,
> TCP_NODELAY
> should be on (as it was for Windows).   For batch file transfer,
> TCP_NODELAY should be off, because it helps by packing packets full of
> data.

Since the option can be set/reset for each socket, the default setting
should be the one which satisfies most naive socket uses, and IMHO this
would be the batch file transfer kind of stuff. TCP_NODELAY only makes
sense for realtime applications where interactive response is critical,
such as Croquet, and these applications should know what they're doing
and should set TCP_NODELAY...

Cheers,
Hans-Martin