New VMMaker/svn release

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Dec 29 02:36:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 09:28:40PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> Almost in time for Nigelmass (my brother's dirthday is on the 25th)
> I've just completed another step in the releasing of the 64bit clean
> VM code with the latest SVN level (1282 or thereabouts) and the SM
> package VMMaker3.8b5-64 'WillYouStillNeedMe'.
>
> Read the comments attached to the SM package details. You must do
> certain things before it will work. Certain things will probably not
> work even then. So far it builds, compiles and runs in 32 bit form on
> RISC OS and OSX.

Worked fine on Intel Linux 32 bit. That's all I've tried so far.

> You will need to decide upon a way to appropriately define
> 'VMENDIANNESS' (0 for little, 1 for big) as part of the compile. You
> might need to pay some attention to the definition of the
> sqFilenameFromString macro.

The VMENDIANNESS macro should not be necessary, since endianness can
be tested at runtime. Change sets attached.

Interpreter-isBigEnder-dtl.1.cs provides the runtime check.

EndianPlugin-dtl.1.cs is a plugin to verify that it works.

This has been tested only on an Intel 32 bit box, so it needs
at least a check on a Mac. To test, build the EndianPlugin, then
evaluate "EndianPlugin endianness = Smalltalk endianness", which
should evaluate to true.

Cross posted to Mantis #2404.