New VMMaker/svn release

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Dec 29 20:00:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 06:44:48PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 28-Dec-05, at 6:36 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>

> > Worked fine on Intel Linux 32 bit. That's all I've tried so far.
> Excellent, thanks for testing it Dave.

Interim update on building 64 bit VMs with the latest VMM/SVN:

Unfortunately I have not been able to build a working 64 VM yet.
I'm using VMMaker-tpr.39 (loaded from Squeak Map), SVN 1282, plus my
local patches (attached for reference). The OS is 32 bit Intel Linux.

I was previously able to build a 64 bit VM with VMMaker-tpr.37 and
SVN 1259, with the same local patches.

I am building the 64 bit VM with internal plugins BalloonEnginePlugin,
BitBltSimulation, FilePlugin, and SocketPlugin, and no external plugins.
The resulting VM crashes with a segfault after entering the interpreter
and opening the display. This is using a 64 bit image that does open
successfully with my earlier 64 bit VM (VMMaker-tpr.37/SVN 1259).

Also note, VMMaker versionString => '3.8b4' should be '3.8b5-64'.

More to follow when I get it figured out.

Dave

Attachments (in zip file):

platforms-win32-plugins-FilePlugin-sqWin32FilePrims.c.diff - Change Win32
    FilePlugin to use session ID from the interpreter rather than generate its
    own value (for consistency, and also so as not to break OSPP for Win32).

platforms-Cross-vm-sqMemoryAccess.h.diff - Add missing memory access macros
    (the inline functions are complete, but some of the corresponding macros
    are missing).

platforms-unix-vm-sqUnixExternalPrims.c.diff - Provide meaningful console
    error message if an external module (e.g. vm-display-X11) fails to load.

platforms-unix-config-config.h.in.diff - Add a definition to unix/config/config.in
    to #define SQAIO_H "sqaio.h" due to renaming aio.h to sqaio.h. Permits OSPP
    and AIO plugins to be backward compatible with older source trees. (Note
    to Tim: RiscOS uses a copy of aio.h in its platform tree, should sqaio.h
    be moved to Cross?)