VM "team"

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Mar 16 07:34:30 UTC 2005

> I apologize for my utter VM-n00b-stupidity and still humbly conclude
> that a little page somewhere explaining how to do this properly would at
> least have helped me - and obviously all the other people stumbling on
> this getImageName stuff - evidently they must all have been falling in
> the same trap. :)

More likely, they have been using a basic image (3.7 or 3.8). Which
reminds me: With the current SM, is there actually a way of marking
releases in a way that users will automatically get "their" version?

> I know Ian has pretty detailed and good descriptions, but I think what
> is lacking here is a more condensed howto that indeed includes this
> stuff about VMMaker (haven't tested this, but I guess you see what I
> mean):

http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/unix/devel.html
http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/unix/platforms/unix/doc/HowToBuildFromSource.html/index.html

Both seem quite applicable in this regard.

> PSS. Still think a little page explaining the most important details
> about the VM work process would be helpful. I don't think many people
> are aware that Ian wants patches in the form of full files sent by email
> for example.

Well, if they care to read they might now ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas