Scroll events

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Mar 18 17:59:45 UTC 2005

Could we change the cursor key events to scrollwheel events in the
image? Although os-x has scroll wheel events and if I recall I was
passing that
data up in a mouse event, which we later decided not to do because we
needed the space for the windowindex.

Also I'm not sure I got a reply to my note on the tweak list about
passing the mac virtual key code up along with the unicode on
keyup/down. versus VK_MUMBLE.
Also didn't get an answer to:
"So how do we know that the unicode value 0xB4 coming up from the VM on
a keydown is a character or a VK_LAUNCH_MAIL key request?"

On Mar 17, 2005, at 10:47 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hmm... I really don't mind representing scroll events differently
> (having added the Ctrl-Cursor hack way back) ... but how do other
> platforms represent scroll wheel events? On Windows, there is an
> explicit message WM_SCROLLWHEEL (or so - don't quite remember the
> name) which is independent of both, keyboard and mouse events. I'd be
> happy to pass this up individually, but what about the other
> platforms?
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>
> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Scroll events really should be mouse events (*). This hasn't been too
>> much of a problem in Morphic where we have a focus-follows-mouse
>> policy. But in Tweak, for example, the keyboard scroll events go to
>> the focused pane even when I point the mouse somewhere else.
>> AFAIK no host platform originally delivers scroll events as keyboard
>> events, so it appears as the Right Thing to do, rather then hacking
>> around it on the image side. However, I'm not sure about the best way
>> to actually hand this to the image ... Any opinions?
>> As a further data point, there are mice having both vertical and
>> horizontal scroll capabilities, something that users may want to put
>> to use. Not sure if we should support the additional buttons, too,
>> but why not? My mouse has 8 of them in total, all of which do
>> something reasonable - yes I'm on a Mac ;-)
>> [OT] Rumor has it that Apple is going to introduce a new mouse soon,
>> which may have two buttons or an iPod-like wheel or both ...
>> - Bert -
>> (*) Yes, I'm guilty for coming up with the arrow-key hack in the
>> first place, but it was TSTTCPW

===