Scroll events

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Mar 18 21:36:02 UTC 2005

Twitch, most squeakland users are not wanting to type obscure things on
a command line, in fact they don't know a terminal exist. They also
don't care about image or vm versions, they just double-click on an
image or vm and expect it to work.

If we are proposing to change the keyboard event model then we need a
more transparent solution. I'll suggest passing the keyboard code as
another parm on the keyup/down. That I have. Tweak would have to look
at both the keycode and the unicode on the mac to make a decision.

On Mar 18, 2005, at 1:06 PM, Ned Konz wrote:

> On Friday 18 March 2005 12:58 pm, John M McIntosh wrote:
>> It's called backwards compatibility. If you use CSA french keyboard
>> layout *some* of the accented characters have different unicode
>> values
>> than macroman.
>> Not passing up the MacRoman breaks 2.8 images...
>
> In the Unix VM you can set an environment variable or command line
> argument to
> change the encoding of input events. This changes what gets sent to the
> image.
>
> Perhaps either providing a way to pass down the encoding requirements
> to the
> VM or giving an alternate way to launch the VM for older images might
> be OK.
>
> After all, I suspect that people who are trying to use a new VM with a
> 2.8
> image would probably be somewhat tech savvy.
>
> --
> Ned Konz
> http://bike-nomad.com

===