3.7-7 "final" VM for Unix

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at hp.com
Mon Mar 21 02:55:17 UTC 2005

> Nifty, so I downloaded it, check the instructions for building, and
> take the easy way out by just typing "make".  I'm on Mac OS X 10.3.8
>
> /Users/todd/Projects/Squeak-3.7-7/platforms/unix/plugins/
> B3DAcceleratorPlugin/sqUnixOpenGL.h:26:7: #error *** cannot find gl.h
>
> So, what special value/place in this wonderfully elaborate build
> system should we tweak to make this work out of the box for Mac users?

For auto-detection of X11 library and header locations to work, you (an
anonymous, generic 'you') must have /usr/X11R6/bin (or equivalent) in
your PATH and you must have a working 'xmkmf' in that location.  In
other words: to build Squeak with X11 support your compilation
environment must be capable of building X11 clients from source.
(Sounds obvious when put like that, no?)

Otherwise you can bypass X11 auto-detection by running configure
manually:

	mkdir bld
	.../config/configure --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include
--x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib
	make

(assuming the required X11 headers and libraries are installed).

If you get compilation errors after configuring with '--without-x'
(including OpenGL-related errors on Mac OS X) then let me know, because
you've found a real bug.

Cheers,
Ian

PS: I only saw the above email because of a broken imap server.  Send
VM build problems to VM-Dev or to the maintainer of the affected VM.
Thanks.