newbie: plugin loaded?

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Fri Nov 11 21:46:29 UTC 2005

tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 11-Nov-05, at 12:41 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> What is a way to determine if an external plugin has been loaded?
>> Couldn't find this on the swiki.
>
> Smalltalk listLoadedModules will tell you all the modules actually
> loaded *and in use* whether they are external or internal.

Thanks, Tim and Burt!

My primitive merely calls a cross platform file that plays a sine wave,
entirely in C, for 5 seconds and then returns. I think the problem is
that it can't find an external library. I receive this:

$ ioLoadModule(/usr/local/lib/squeak/3.7-7/SoundPAPlugin):
  /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.7-7/SoundPAPlugin: undefined symbol:
Pa_GetDeviceInfo

Pa_GetDeviceInfo  is in a library accessible to all
(usr/local/lib/libportaudio.so). All of this works fine externally: i.e.
the sine wave plays from the command line (of course, when I make the
file with a main()).

I call Pa_GetDeviceInfo from a Cross platform file: patest_sine.c file.

I can see that both of my files compiled fine and landed in the 'src'
directory:
SoundPAPlugin.o
patest_sine.o

I assume these are linked and placed in:
/usr/local/lib/squeak/3.7-7/SoundPAPlugin

I further assume, that since the error reported is about
Pa_GetDeviceInfo, the plugin is being called, but it can't find the
library where Pa_GetDeviceInfo resides: usr/local/lib/libportaudio.so.

Do I need to do something different with external libraries -- even
though the system knows all about them?

brad