VMMaker/Plugins newbee question

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Oct 28 22:35:10 UTC 2005

On 28-Oct-05, at 12:55 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> tim Rowledge wrote:
>

>> I see that in the latest copy of sqWin32Intel. on my machine there
>> is  an explicit call to ioInitSecurity() which is completely
>> wrong; it  forces you to have the security plugin linked directly
>> to the vm   core. There simply isn't any need to do this. The
>> plugin will get  loaded and initialized when it is needed.
>>

> Sigh. We've had this discussion a couple of years ago already and
> nothing has changed since. So let me repeat what I explained to you
> back then: If you want to ensure that you can load an image in
> secured mode, you cannot wait until that image voluntarily loads
> the plugin (because it never will). You *have* to initialize the
> plugin automatically and you *have* to do that before the image is
> even loaded.

Sigh. We've had this discussion about five years ago and nothing has
changed since. So let me explain what I said back then;  that is not
an excuse for making a direct call to a function in a plugin. How
about using the correct ioLoadFunction() call that is specifically
intended to provide clean, safe access to a plugin function? You even
commented it as the correct way to do this.

tim