Interpreter: how generate C for new method

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Sep 15 18:14:26 UTC 2005

In message <79A94AF8-08BB-42E9-862C-7B74EC8ACB44 at smalltalkconsulting.
com>
          John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

> Well if you don't have any clear usage of it in the interpreter,
then
> the optimization inlining step will
> consider it not-callable and remove it from the list of methods to
> generate C code for.
> Fortunately there is another method (the name escapes me) where you
> can add methods that
> aren't explicitly called, yet must exist.
>
> Interpreter(class)>>requiredMethodNames
There are several implementations of that method in classes like
ObjectMemory etc and you should stick your method selector in the
appropriate list. As John said, if it is 'disappearing' it's because
nobody sends it or it is only sent by another method that isn't sent
and so on.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim at rowledge.org, http://www.rowledge.org/tim
It said, "Insert disk #3," but only two will fit!