64 bit cleanup completion?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 22 02:10:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 04:49:01PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> It's been a while since the 64 bit cleanup work was started and
> almost as long since anything much was done with it. There are a
> number of plugins that need some work to get rid of things like
> cCoerce:to: in favour of oopForPointer: etc.
>
> There are places with #flag: Dan lying around and Dan has expressed a
> lack of time to do anything with them but a willingness to sit with
> someone and a beer to explain what he was thinking of. I'm not going
> to be heading down to silicon valley anytime soon so I certainly
> can't do that but anyone that can take notes could do it and report
> back. Volunteers?

All we need here is a bit of coordination. Maybe just a swiki page.
Way back when, Ian posted a list of "who seems to own what plugin"
and status with respect to 64 bit cleanliness. This is a perfectly
good starting point if we can just put it on a swiki page and update
it from there.

Also needed is a "64 bit Squeak" category for bug tracking on
Mantis. There are image *and* VM issues that will need to be
resolved, but these are of no interest to most folks with 32 bit
Squeak image/VM, and should be separately tracked if anything
is going to be done about them.

The original 64-bit motivators (Dan and Ian) did the hard bit. Now
all we need is to put a little bit of structure around the follow
up tasks. Yes, I will volunteer to pick up one or two tasks, and
I'm sure that other folks will do so also.

Dave

p.s. I think this power of two business is a bit over-hyped. The
correct machine word size is and always has been 24 bits.