New VMMaker/svn release

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jan 3 22:21:29 UTC 2006

tim Rowledge wrote:
> On 29-Dec-05, at 12:00 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>> Attachments (in zip file):
>>
>> platforms-win32-plugins-FilePlugin-sqWin32FilePrims.c.diff - Change
>> Win32
>>     FilePlugin to use session ID from the interpreter rather than
>> generate its
>>     own value (for consistency, and also so as not to break OSPP  for
>> Win32).
>
> OK, that is up to andreas - I couldn't commit it if I wanted to.

Now that's interesting. I can fix that easy enough but I'm curious as to
the reason for having a "global" session ID instead of a local one. I
always found it advantageous that (in all likelyhood) you couldn't use
the session ID for a file interchangeably with the session ID of a
socket. And I must say that I find the idea of exposing what essentially
amounts to a "VM secret" to other plugins quite peculiar.

Can somebody remind what the intent of that change was? I'm sure there
must've been some reason for it but I think I've missed the discussion
of that feature.

Cheers,
   - Andreas