Croquet VM issues

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Mar 17 00:47:25 UTC 2006

Hi John -

Thanks for the information.

>> 1) GC improvements:
>> Questions:
>> * What's the general status of those changes? The way I understand the
>> discussion we had back in april, is that John did the adjustments to
>> 64bit and then ... what?
>
> These were folded into the VMMaker in mid may 2005, waiting feedback
> from others.

So is there a "current" VMMaker version that includes these? (I'm asking
since when Josh sent the message lately you replied by pointing to a
webpage with a few bits of loose code on there ;-)

>> Questions:
>> * On Mac and Unix, do we implement getSystemAttribute: -1 to return
>> the full path to the executable?
>> * On Mac and Unix, can one read the executable while running Squeak? I
>> need this to checksum the VM proper.
>
> Mmmm let me see, nope (-1) doesn't work, do you know if that works with
> unix?

No, I don't know. The main thing is that I need a way of computing the
checksum for the actual binary (not just a shell script which invoked
the the binary somehow) and I would expect that getSystemAttribute: 0
gives us the shell script, no?

> You should be able to read the vm file, although you should consider at
> some point a vm could be marked as executable and not readable.

An alternative would be to require a primitive that gives us a build
UUID but I'm trying to avoid that.

Cheers,
   - Andreas