Croquet VM issues

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Mar 17 02:45:59 UTC 2006

On 16-Mar-06, at 5:59 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

>>> Questions:
>>> * On Mac and Unix, do we implement getSystemAttribute: -1 to
>>> return the full path to the executable?
>> See http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/314 This is a spec that was
>> agreed to about 8 years ago. If any platform is non-compliant it
>> should be brought into compliance asap.
>
> It's actually not clear to me what is "compliant" in this case. For
> one thing, is reporting the name of a shell script that starts
> Squeak compliant for system attribute 0? (I would think so) For
> another, is the name of the VM part of the "negative set" of
> attributes (yes for Windows but mostly for historical reasons since
> system attribute 0 used to be reported in 8.3 naming style)?

I'm changing the mac vm to return the full vm executable path name
for system attribute 0 as of 3.8.11b3

> Well, as always, I guess the lack of an actual user base is
> problematic here. And my main problem is that I don't know much
> about the actual changes that happened (I know them on the large
> scale, yes, but not in detail) and since these things went back and
> forth I am just not certain what the current status of them is.
>
> On the other hand, if John has been using those changes for OSX VMs
> and not gotten a whole lot of horrible complaints I think I'm
> willing to take that risk.

No complaints.

Oh and btw if you use sqGnu.h and think that the register overrides
for the interp  method actually improves things in gcc 4.0, then you
should
think again.... Also do some benchmarking and cross checking, perhaps
GCC 4.x is smarter now.

> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

===