Proposal: getSystemAttribute(1006) - build ID

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Mar 22 18:42:36 UTC 2006

On 21-Mar-06, at 2:47 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> This is fine
>
> Got source code...
Well, and ideas on what exactly should be represented in this uuid?

How assuredly unique should it be? If 'moderately' is good enough
then perhaps the compile-time would enough, though which of the many
times involved in compiling should it be; compile time of a
particular file, time the link finished...

What needs to be considered to make a VM unique and in need of a new
uuid? If I generate a new set of stuff with VMMaker but nothing
actually changed in the code, does that count? I recompile a file
without regenerating it? I merely relink all the object files? What
if the relink was needed because a new library had to be bound in?

Who wants to know the uuid and under what circumstances? On OSX it
would be potentially nice to make it accessible to the 'getinfo'
palette and probably M$ have copied much of that idea by now. It
should probably appear in a help dialogue/string/window.

tim
Useful random insult:- Paralyzed from the neck up.