All together now ;-)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Mar 28 19:33:31 UTC 2006

Hi Tim -

> AsynchFilePlugin
> What about #primitiveAsyncFileWriteStart:fPosition:fromBuffer:at: count:
> Seems to need a fix from 'int' to 'sqInt' but you missed it. Or was that
> deliberate for some inscrutable reason?

Something's wrong here... since I didn't touch that at all. It should be
the same version that is on SqueakMap. Ditto for FilePlugin and
oopForPointer: - I haven't touched FilePlugin at all.

> B3DAcceleratorPlugin
> Are you wanting that added to VMMaker? IIRC it has heretofore been kept
> in the Balloon3D package.

Yes. Balloon3D is dead (has been for a couple of years now).

> CroquetPlugin
> Do you want that in the VMM package too?
> - any dependencies in image to worry about? Things in shared pools come
> to mind.

Currently, there are no dependencies. Whether it should be kept in
VMMaker ... good question. I think it might make things easier for
everyone involved (any contrary opinions?).

> FloatMathPlugin
> - I couldn't see code beyond the class decl in your .49 package. Do you
> want it in VMM?
> And what about the tests? Not for VMMaker inclusion in my view.

Yes, this should definitely go into VMMaker. I also think we should have
those "FloatMathPluginTests" in VMMaker because they make sure that the
primitives in the plugin function properly (and are therefore mostly
needed for the person building the VM). I have essentially the same
tests duplicated in the CroquetVMTests to ensure that (for example) the
implementation of Float>>exp adheres to the requirement, but that seems
independent from the VM builder's side.

> Mpeg3Plugin
> Use of file name checking call bothers me. John, why is there a rather
> pointless indirection of sqFilenameFromStringOpen through
> ioFilenamefromStringofLengthresolveAliases ? Is the resolve alisases
> nonsense even needed now you've changed to OSX support only and using
> unix style filenames?

I'll leave this one for John.

Cheers,
   - Andreas