sq.h changes, grabbed reserved field in sqKeyboardEvent

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Mar 30 00:16:17 UTC 2006

Michael Rueger wrote:
>> I'm not quite sure about the consequences for some of the weirder
>> keyboard layouts though:
>>
>> From a user's point of view (what the user thinks he pressed)
>> ctrl-shift-VK_1 on "normal" keyboards would mean ctrl-!,
>> on French ones it would mean ctrl-1 .

Ah, keyboard layouts. What a pain. Can we please (please, please,
please!) not require VMs to deal with those? It's a pain and it's a mess
and I'd rather have some image code deal with it. So, instead of
extending keyboard events, how about simply reporting a "keyboard layout
identifier"[*] that the image can use to map keys reported by the VM
into whatever it wants to?

[*] On Windows, that would be an identifier from GetKeyboardLayoutName
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/userinput/keyboardinput/keyboardinputreference/keyboardinputfunctions/getkeyboardlayoutname.asp)

Cheers,
   - Andreas