sigsev in 64/32 bit VM

Martin Kuball martinkuball at web.de
Wed May 31 20:26:26 UTC 2006

Am Tuesday, 30. May 2006 22:19 schrieb Martin Kuball:

> > If there is no memory mapped at a fundamental address like
> > sqMemoryBase that implies to me that some very serious has
> > failed, and I think it must surely have failed right at the
> > beginning of starting Squeak. You didn't mention anything about
> > whether the system started up or not, what you were doing, or
> > anything that might help us.
> >
> > sqMemoryBase is typically set right at the beginning of the VM
> > startup, by allocating the memory for the image so if for some
> > strange reason that fails you could be in trouble. It's hard to
> > imagine how the allocate could fail and not be detected though.
>
> Hi!
>
> I compiled a VM with BallonEngine, BitBlitSimulation and
> FilePlugin. I started the vm in gdb and checked the allocation of
> the memory. All went well. The reason I reported a bad memory
> region earlier is that sqMemoryBase is the real base - 16.
> Now the interpreter loop runs and at its 12th cylce (opcode 134) I
> still get the SIGSEV. Further investigation showed that
> foo->stackPointer is the culprit. All the cycles before it had a
> value of 15723512. But this time the value is 1509280732. Really
> bad. I will try to find out where this change happens tomorrow.

The only thing I can tell you is that the stackpointer is set from
localSP at one point via:
	foo->stackPointer = oopForPointer(localSP);
Now oopForPointer seems to be a simple cast to sqInt (which is a
typedef from int). Now casting a pointer to a char to an int might
actually leed to problems on a 64bit system. Which indeed it does in
this case as 0x2aaaad732bec becomes 0xffffffffad732bec.

Any suggestions what to do now?

Martin