[Vm-dev] Netscape plugin for Windows again

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Nov 22 10:09:48 UTC 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 9:44 , Andreas Raab wrote:

> Takashi Yamamiya wrote:
>> Oops, I should ask Andreas at first...
>
> No problem and thanks for reminding me. I just did a "quick fix"
> for the
> problem that is commit the code that I found to squeakvm.org
> repository:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/win32/vm/
> Plugin/
>
> This includes the netscape plugin (under NPSqueak) and the ActiveX
> control (under SqueakOCX2 - the other one was an older version that
> didn't support the url fetching mechanisms etc)

Great! We also need to get in the fixes in that I added for the Unix
version (attached) and which impara ported to Windows.

>> At least, it was a good exercise for me because it was almost my
>> first
>> Win32 API programming experience. And still I'm very interested in
>> how
>> activeX plugin was implemented.
>
> In unspeakably ugly terms. ActiveX is nothing for the faint-
> hearted. The
> code requires magical MSVC invokations that I'm not even sure recent
> versions will handle correctly. YMMV.

Impara managed to rebuild the OCX recently, with one fix for fetching
long URLs (was limited to like 200 characters or so). Not sure which
MSVC version they used, though.

- Bert -