[Vm-dev] re: hacking a 3.9 VM

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Oct 8 01:04:24 UTC 2006

Hm ... trying to go back to 3.8 to see if the problem is caused by 64bit
updates wasn't successful either. First I updated to 3.8.1 which loads
6735RemoveLeftoverVMMakerBits-38b4 and thusly removes a whole bunch of
methods that are required by the version in the released 3.8 version.
After noticing this (the hard way) I loaded VMMaker-38b4 which I thought
would include these methods but it doesn't. Okay, so I reverted to
3.8-6665 to generate the VM, only to run into one of those (foo
isMemberOf: Symbol) issues from the post-m17n transition phase. That
fixed I was almost capable of generating a new VM only to notice that
you mustn't have the VMMaker tool or else loading a new Win32VMMaker
class is being ignored. Took me a while to find that.

Finally, I was able to generate a new VM but failed immediately with
compiling it because of conflicting definitions of byteAt: etc. So after
spending a couple of hours on this I still don't know what causes these
crashes.

Argh. This is a lot worse than I remembered.

Cheers,
   - Andreas