[Vm-dev] re: hacking a 3.9 VM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Oct 8 17:28:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 12:30:07AM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> Well, I'm startled at the problems we seem to be having here.
> Obviously, as I was developing various versions of VMMaker I was
> actually running them and building VMs. Clearly, I wouldn't have
> deliberately released something that didn't work when testing it.
> However, do remember that I do not have a Windows machine nor a *nix
> machine so can't do anything but rely on others to test and report
> back in a timely manner. IIRC, Dave Lewis for example has not had
> problems with building *nix VMs recently.

I have not done a Unix build since SVN 1513, so I decided to give
it a try.  Somewhere between 1513 and 1546, a new problem seems to
have crept in.

Verifying on a 32 bit Intel Linux:

start with a clean Squeak 3.8 (Squeak3.8-6665-basic.zip)
update to 3.8.1
check version
  ==> SmalltalkImage current (sic) vmVersion 'Squeak3.8 of ''5 May 2005'' [latest update: #6665]'
update Squeak Map etc
load VMMaker 3.8b6 from SM
load OSProcessPlugin 4.0.1 from SM
load AioPlugin 2.0 from SM
  ==> %$%#$! SqueakMap gives user-friendly "can't find EOCD position" error
      loaded my own copy from disk
load XDisplayControlPlugin 2.0 from SM
  ==> another $#!%@$% SqueakMap error
      loaded my own copy from disk
get an up-to-date platforms tree from SVN (1546)
open VMMaker
  ==> MessageNotUnderstood: SystemDictionary>>wordSize
  load a copy of #wordSize from a 3.9 image
  enter Mantis 5198 to get #wordSize included in the next 3.8 release
open VMMaker
make all plugins internal except OSPP, AIO, XDCP
generate 32 bit code into ./src32 directory

then from a Unix shell:
$ ln -s src32 src
$ mkdir build32
$ cd build32
$ ../platforms/unix/config/configure
$ make install
  ==> no problems with build, but...
run Squeak
  ==> image startup fails in FileDirectory class>>startUp
      fails primitive in MacHFSPlusFileDirectory class>>primPathNameDelimiter
check "Smalltalk listLoadedModules" ==> FilePlugin is not loaded
  ==> hmmm... no wonder, VMM did not include it in the plugins to be built. Lots
      of other primitives were excluded also.

open new VMMaker
  ==> FilePlugin and others are now included in the plugins to build
clean out src32, generate code, configure, make install
  ==> no problems with build
run Squeak
  ==> no problems