[Vm-dev] re: hacking a 3.9 VM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Oct 8 18:55:20 UTC 2006

Tim,

The point was the VMMaker was refusing to include FilePlugin and others
in the list of modules to be built. When I pointed my platforms
directory back to an older version of the SVN code (1513, which was the
last one I had used for a successful build), everything was fine.

Unfortunately, I have now pointed back to the 1546 version of the
platforms tree (intending to figure out what VMMaker was looking for
and not finding), and I am unable to reproduce the problem. So as
it stands right now, the VMMaker 3.8b6 plus SVN 1546 platforms code
plus Squeak 3.8 plus the missing SystemDictionary>>wordSize method
seems to be just fine on Linux 32 bit Intel.

I swear I did not imagine this, but the weather is too nice this
afternoon to waste any time trying to reproduce it again. I think
I'll just write it off to a tempory warp in the bogon flux density
caused by sunspot activity and a full moon. Sorry for the confusion,
everything looks fine now.

Time to take the Norton out for a ride before the cold weather sets in.

Dave