[Vm-dev] Re: VMMaker organzation

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Oct 17 11:40:15 UTC 2006

Am 17.10.2006 um 02:55 schrieb Andreas Raab:

> Hi Tim -
>
> tim Rowledge wrote:
>> Ok, so I've started a VMMaker repository in SqueakSource ready to
>> fill with stuff.
>
> Can we set one up on source.sqf.org? Squeaksource.com has been
> pretty unreliable for me.

Repeating myself, but *please* can we name it "vm"?

>> How fine grained would people like the sub-packages to be? We
>> could go bananas and have each plugin separate, the VMMaker &
>> VMMakerTool, the interpreter class, the object memory etc all
>> split out. Or it could be main vm code, vmmaker, core plugins,
>> andreas' plgins, ron's plugins... etc.
>> Whaddya want?
>
> Something in the middle perhaps. Like I/O (socket, files, async
> files), then graphics (bitblt, balloon, jpeg, bmp), sound (wave,
> gsm, midi) etc. (I don't have a list of plugins on my finger tips
> or else I would have made up a list from them).

I'd go for one MC package per plugin. If I were to start toying with
a new plugin I'd put it into a separate package. In fact, that's what
I did a couple of times. When the plugin gets ready for inclusion in
the official repository, nothing would have to change, history is
preserved etc.

vm-maker (building, UI)
vm-translation (translator) ... might also be called "slang" to give
noobs an a-ha
vm-core (Interpreter, ObjectMemory)
vm-io-socket
vm-io-async
vm-sound-midi
vm-graphics-bitblt

What would be the downside downside of doing this? I see none really.

- Bert -