[Vm-dev] Strongtalk VM for Squeak?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Sep 16 01:00:44 UTC 2006

David, you've got quite a number of folks on the list thinking
seriously on this, right now we're plotting so to speak. Andreas btw
is *quite busy* with Croquet at the moment, but there are other folks
here who are much more flexible, so give us a day or so to plot. I'll
note this list is quite small, and some important folks don't
subscribe to it, however we're forwarding your note around the
community right now.

On 15-Sep-06, at 3:31 PM, David Griswold wrote:

> Hi Squeak VMers,
>
> I would like to start a dialog about the possiblity of joining
> forces, perhaps with the goal of producing a version of the
> Strongtalk VM for Squeak.
>
> Our problem over here is that the release of the VM source isn't
> very well timed, since no one from the original Strongtalk team has
> the time or inclination to support a full-blown open source effort
> to get the whole Strongtalk system finished and usable as a
> separate version of Smalltalk.   It may turn out that Gilad Bracha
> can get some Sun funding to get a few VM engineers going on it, but
> that is speculation at this point.
>
> Personally, I just want to follow the fastest path to getting an
> open-source Smalltalk with this VM technology out there.   If there
> is enough interest from Squeak VM-land,  I would prefer to refocus
> energy from the Strongtalk community towards helping get Squeak up
> and running on our VM, porting it, etc.
>
> What is the thinking in Squeak-land about this?
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

===