[Vm-dev] Re: [ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Sep 26 02:25:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 09:33:08PM +0200, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2006, at 21:11 , Brad Fuller wrote:
>
> >Brad Fuller wrote:
> >>tim Rowledge wrote:
> >>
> >>Wouldn't the VM Crash, that I and others reported, be a reason not to
> >>release until fixed? Mantis issue# 0005056
> >>
> >>brad
> >No comment on my question?
>
> I think, the current VM issues would be a good reason to pospone the
> release.

Unless there is some reason to believe that this issue is related to
the image, it should have no bearing on the question of whether the
Squeak 3.9 image should or should not be released. The fact that
someone happened to have been running a 3.9 image when they observed
the problem is probably irrelevant (but it would be helpful if someone
who is experiencing the problem could confirm or deny this by testing
for the bug on a 3.8 image).

> Unfortunately, as it seems to me, the VM is quite poorly maintained.
> Probably the main reason being that the maintainers don't have enough
> time (or, in other words, because they are not paid to fix the
> problems). Another difficulty is that there are only few people that
> actually work on the VM (why?).

Actually, it's kind of fun, and anybody with an interest in the topic
can do it. As for myself, none of the computers I have access to exhibit
the problem you are discussing, so it's not very far up the list of
itches I want to scratch. But if your system is crashing, you are in
an ideal position to have a look at it.

It's certainly possible that a bit of funding might lubricate the
maintenance process, but in the mean time there is nothing stopping
you or me or anybody else from working on any of these issues.
If you wait for "somebody else" to work on it, you may be waiting
a long time.

Folks, this is open source. Including the VM.