[Vm-dev] Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Apr 17 19:51:51 UTC 2007

On 17-Apr-07, at 12:00 PM, Mathieu Suen wrote:

> You can't fix it to avoid them to be compiled on a Mac?

Of course not - they're *useful* on Mac OS. Why would we want to not
use them just to make it convenient to build  a generic-unix vm instead?

> It's not obvious to choose unix when you run Mac OS
How could I make it any other way? It seems a very reasonable thing
to assume that when running on platform X you are very likely to want
to generate VM code to suit platform X; frankly it surprises me that
we can manage to generate generic-unix sources at all. I suspect it
only works for unix-on-OSX because they had to work out ways of
handling line-ends etc. Try doing the same on Windows and then
compiling - I'd hazard a guess (I'm absolutely not going to attempt
it myself since I refuse to have anything to do with Windows) that
you won't get anywhere. Has anyone tried it? Any success?

tim
Strange OpCodes: DC: Divide and Conquer