[Vm-dev] Why primitive new have unexpected temp affectation

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Mon Aug 13 08:08:30 UTC 2007

Hi Mathieu,

Not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you mean, why stackValue:
1 is read twice?
The reason for this is because
#sufficientSpaceToInstantiate:indexableSize: may trigger GC (as the
comment says), and therefore the temp pointer to the class, which is
read before, may not be valid anymore. In this case the simplest
thing to do is to get the pointer from the stack again.
Alternatively, you could also manually remap the temp (see
#pushRemappableOop: and #popRemappableOop). So, it is really necessary.

Cheers,
Adrian
Adrian Lienhard
www.adrian-lienhard.ch