[Vm-dev] Integration of the BlockClolsure>>value primitive

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Aug 13 08:23:29 UTC 2007

Yes, I did. A few questions:

1) Why didn't you recycle prims 186 and 187? They are marked as "old
closure primitives" but I don't think they have ever being used. Seems a
bit more to the point than adding two new prim indexes.

2) Why indexed prims to begin with? I'd rather have named ones to start
out with because it seems that there is quite some possibility that
these prims might be changed again and then we get into troubles with
the prim indexes. I would recommend to use named prims until there is a
mainstream version of closures and then (if necessary) decide on which
prim indexes to use.

3) Is there a reason why these prims aren't shortcut from
bytecodePrimValue? If speed is the main point I'd expect that a quick
type check for BlockClosure+primClosureValue outperforms the current
implementation by far. It would also take the pressure of requiring an
indexed primitive for speed.

Cheers,
   - Andreas