[Vm-dev] 64 bit VM, source anyone?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Dec 4 22:12:20 UTC 2007

On Dec 4, 2007, at 18:56 , goran.krampe at msc.se wrote:

> Right now I use the binary i386 VM from ftp.squeak.org/debian, it
> seems
> to work but looks slowish to me (tinyBenchmarks):
>
> 295 million bytecods/sec
> 9.5 million sends/sec
>
> And regardless of that it seems reasonable to at least use a 64 bit
> VM.
> :)

For one, try to not think with your gut ;)

Secondly, since there seems to be more interest lately, I'm sure
someone will provide answers. At least you are the first one posting
actual benchmark numbers - until now, I have only suspected a 64 bit
VM would actually be slower than a 32 bit VM. It's what my gut tells
me ;)

- Bert -