[Vm-dev] Re: GCC 4.1

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Jan 15 15:22:23 UTC 2007

I think because of my work fiddling on gcc parms/registers or not for
macintel that Ian had incorporated those
changes into the unix vm build last dec which affects the compare of
current/previous VMs,
although I've not checked to see if that applies to outside of the
darwin build logic.

For the bytecode and send/sec the difference is quite large. However
which gcc version you use plus options plus
hardware can make quite a difference.  The clue to the better rates
is if the assembler to support the first couple of byte codes
in the interpret() loop looks like below. Poorer optimizations can
have 12 or more instructions, verus the more optimum 9.

.globl _interpret
_interpret:

after the jump tables
.long   LXXXXX

you should see something like:

L10161:
	addl	$1, %esi
	movzbl	(%esi), %ebx
	addl	$4, %edi
	movl	_foo, %eax
	movl	84(%eax), %eax
	movl	4(%eax), %eax
	movl	%eax, (%edi)
	movl	512(%esp,%ebx,4), %eax
L10421:
	jmp	*%eax

On Jan 15, 2007, at 2:37 AM, goran at krampe.se wrote:

> Hi Ian and all!
>
> "Philippe Marschall" <philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2007/1/15, goran at krampe.se <goran at krampe.se>:
>>> My guess is that the combo you compiled (3.9-9, 4.0.3) that
>>> turned slow
>>> somehow failed to get gnuified. Just a wild guess.
>>
>> Wasn't me. It's the stock from squeakvm.org
>
> Ah... Ian, could you perhaps check the performance of the binary 3.9-9
> VM on squeakvm.org? As per this posting:
>
> 	http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2007-January/
> 000977.
> html
>
> I presume this is the intel binary we are talking about. Did something
> go wrong with gnuify or so?
>
> I don't have a box handy to look into this right now.
>
> regards, Göran

===