[Vm-dev] saving window top/left in the image, and what does it mean?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Jan 23 22:26:24 UTC 2007

For reasons lost in time, although one of the readers might now, the
vm stores the window width/height in the image file, but not the top/
left.

Now Eliot Miranda asked me about launching Squeak on his mac and
having it show up as full screen on the secondary display. Which of
course does not happen since it opens on the main display and goes to
full screen there.  To do this I would need to know that I have to place
the window on the secondary display, or elsewhere in the coordinate
system which would be the secondary display, then go to full screen.

I'd like to propose that we grab another 4 bytes (8 bytes?) out of
the header and store the top/left in mmm macintosh quickdraw
coordinate systems values.
Then on main window open a VM would need to see if the window created
based on the top/left be visible, if so to open it at those
coordinates, otherwise
fall back to the historical code.   I realize of course this might
not work for Xwindows or Windows (no clue) but even just having the
ability to position a
squeak window at startup at a given location is more useful than our
fall back position of 44 & 8.

Perhaps even suggesting a number (2) meaning use the secondary screen
or something, mm and top/left being 0/0 of top/left of 2nd screen.

Thoughts?  Well one part is do we need this?
The second is how to implement in a manner that all VMs would do the
right thing based on some magic numbers.

===