[Vm-dev] linux 64bit vm running a 32 bit images - networking vm crash

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 11:15:33 UTC 2007

2007/5/31, Martin Kuball <martinkuball at web.de>:

> Am Thursday 31 May 2007 schrieb tim Rowledge:
> > Martin - and others of course - what exactly do you want a 64bit vm
> > for? Do you really need more than 4gb sized object memory spaces?
> > What benefit is there to running a 64bit integer baesed vm with a
> > 32bit oop based image? Perhaps I'm forgetting something but it
> > doesn't seem like anything terribly useful.
> >
> > tim
> > --
> > tim Rowledge; tim at rowledge.org; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> > Strange OpCodes: SSAN: Stop, and See if Anyone Notices
>
> Well, I'm running a 64bit Linux and I don't want to change into a 32bit
> environment to run squeak. That's all. And it works for me. The memory
> access bug is fixed. And if I get some positive feedback from Philippe
> about the network bug I will  post a CS for VMMaker.

Sorry it took me so long. Seaside works (did before), Monticello
crashes no more.
So I'd say it works for me so far.

There are of course a lot of plugins who don't work (cast from pointer
to integer of different size). Many of them I don't miss (graphic,
sound, ...). Among those I miss cUrl, could anybody get this to
compile? But UUID works.

Cheers
Philippe