[Vm-dev] Re: VM patches for oop comparison and usqInt declarations

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jun 8 21:24:49 UTC 2007

On 8-Jun-07, at 2:07 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> - questionable? signed/unsigned compares at least from the compiler
> viewpoint.
>
> primitivePerformAt: lookupClass
> primitiveDoPrimitiveWithArgs
>
> 		self success: (self stackPointerIndex + arraySize) < cntxSize].

That shouldn't be a problem; stackPointerIndex is pretty much limited
to 32 words, arraySize is practically limited to quite small but
could possibly get large in insane code and cntxSize is 40 (-ish?) words

> primitiveObjectAtPut
> primitiveObjectAt
>
> 		self success: index <= ((self literalCountOf: thisReceiver) +
> LiteralStart).
again, operating inside methods/context/etc so fairly limited value
range. literal count is limited to 256 I think, LiteralStart is 6 or
thereabouts.

> postGCAction
> 			(self sizeOfFree: freeBlock) > shrinkThreshold
Looks like sizeOfFree returns a signed int. shrinkThreshold should
only be a +ve number anyway and should be checked somewhere in the
setting of its value. Guess sizeOfFree ought to be changed.

tim
Useful random insult:- Can't find log base two of 65536 without a
calculator.