[Vm-dev] Unix UTF8 input

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Jun 10 20:18:32 UTC 2007

On Jun 10, 2007, at 22:00 , Martin Kuball wrote:

> Am Sunday 10 June 2007 schrieb Chris Petsos:
>> I've read many reports on how one can add an utf8 input mechanism
>> in the
>> unix vm of Squeak... tried to do the trick with the -eventenc
>> parameter
>> but that didn't work in the latest release.

Never saw that parameter. The unix VM has -encoding (the encoding
used for communication with the image), -pathenc (encoding of
filenames on disk) and -textenc (encoding of 8-bit X clipboard data).

> Well, the last time I looked at the code the unix vm didn't support
> multibyte key events. So you won't have any luck with setting the
> eventenc. Some time ago I submitted a patch to make this work. It
> obviously never made it into the vm. And I can't blame anyone
> because the
> code was bad. I have improved it a bit since than. So if there is
> interest
> and if somebody tells me where to send it I will submit the patch
> again.

Does that use the same field as on Mac an Win VMs? If so, sure, send
it here! UTF-8 isn't really sensible for keyboard events, we use
UTF-32 instead.

- Bert -