[Vm-dev] Unix UTF8 input

Martin Kuball martinkuball at web.de
Sun Jun 24 17:53:06 UTC 2007

Am Friday 22 June 2007 schrieb Chris Petsos:
> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 21:58 +0200, Martin Kuball wrote:
> > It should appear under the X11 options paragraph as the last option.
> > What exactly failed? The VM just quit? Or you could not enter any
> > characters? By the way there is no need to specify UTF-8 if you have
> > UTF-8 as your locale.
>
> Indeed, it appears under the X11 options but when i set it the VM does
> not start. Now...there goes my Linux dumminess...how do i set UTF-8 as
> my locale? Is it the
> 	LANG=el-GR.utf8

Yes, that is part of it. Could you send me the output of the locale
command?

What exactly happens if you start the VM with -eventenc. Is there any error
message or does it simply quit?

Now that I'm thinking about this stuff again I believe that I should not
have added the eventenc parameter at all. The encoding of the keyevents
delivered by the X server is determined by the locale setting. We too
should use the locale setting to figure out how to map from the encoding
of the X server to the squeak internal encoding. No user intervention is
required here. It could only do harm.

I will try this and post a new patch.

> > > Ok, despite that i could set the SQUEAK_EVENTENC environment
> > > variable so that i can setUxXwinEncoding... but i did not get any
> > > keyboard events when my keyboard was turned to greek locale...
> > > Also, i saw somewhere
> > > 	charCode= out[0]; /* only single-byte chars for now*/
> >
> > That's because (as I understand it - at least at the time I wrote
> > that) the VM still uses macroman internally. But maybe this is not
> > true any more (or even was not true a year ago). If so we can change
> > this.
>
> I 've put some keyboard event buffer printing in my input interpreter so
> that i can see if keyboard events are generated and with what values...
> When i change the keyboard to my locale, no printing to the
> Transcript...no events generated at all...
> Why is that?

So you were able to start the VM but you could not enter any characters?

Martin