[Vm-dev] Bigger cursors needed

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Mar 1 19:03:23 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

for the OLPC XO with its 200 dpi screen we really need larger cursors
than are currently supported in the VM.

AFAIK, all major systems now support arbitrary 32 bit RGBA bitmaps as
cursors.

I'd suggest to simply extend primitiveBeCursor to allow 32 bit forms.
An older VM would fail the primitive so action could be taken on the
image side. The primitive would then call a new function, say

	ioSetCursorRGBA(cursorBitsIndex, width, height, offsetX, offsetY)

IMHO, we don't really need to support other depths than 32, so we do
not have to give that as parameter to ioSetCursorRGBA().

Not sure if we want to restrict cursor size to, say 128x128. What do
the platforms support?

- Bert -