[Vm-dev] gcc -Wall -pedantic (was: sweep failed to find exact end of memory)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Mar 17 14:44:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 10:23:00AM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Diego Gomez Deck wrote:
> >Is not posible to find all the buggy casts (between unsigned and signed
> >ints) using this compiler flags?
>
> I'm actually not sure.
>
> >Anyone did try it?
>
> Once in a blue moon, yes. However, the number of warnings was so
> overwhelming that it felt to laborious a task (in particular considering
> that often you need to find your way backwards from the C code to the
> slang code and that inlining makes the problem worse).

Actually, I would not mind putting some time into this if there
was a way to organize the work such that any changes I identified
could be properly vetted. I recently came up with a way to browse
generated C and inlined C code in Squeak (*), which makes the
problem seem considerably less intimidating. I've also done the
64 bit updates for some plugins (OSPP et al), so I have a passing
familiarity with the issues.

The suggestion of using -pedantic is a good one, but I'll note
that there are compiler warnings generated simply by compiling
the VM on a 64 bit host. Making those warnings go away would be
a good first objective.

Dave

(*) http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5916