[Vm-dev] Bigger cursors needed

Ian Piumarta piumarta at speakeasy.net
Sun Mar 25 17:00:00 UTC 2007

Hi Bert,

> I implemented ioSetCursorARGB() on X11 using the XRender extension,
> see attachment. It's a stand-alone test program that uses
> ioSetCursorARGB() to show a nicely colored cursor. This is not
> hooked up to the new primitive yet - can you do this soonish or
> should I work on a more complete patch?

I'm a little concerned that this will cause the entire vm-display-X11
plugin to fail to load on any machine that doesn't have libXrender.
Is there any way to implement this stuff without depending on
Xrender?  Alternatively, are you absolutely sure every machine bigger
than a wristwatch is guaranteed to have the Xrender extension?
Alternatively, how about I add a 'configure' option that turns on
this support explicitly?

Remember that (1) the OLPC isn't the only machine that uses an X11
window and (2) most people download binaries with all of the
dependencies screwed in as absolute requirements on their local
machine for the VM to run properly.  Anything that we fix
specifically for (1) must not degrade the experience or complicate
life for (2).

Cheers,
Ian