[Vm-dev] Bigger cursors needed

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Mar 25 19:51:59 UTC 2007

On Mar 25, 2007, at 19:52 , Ian Piumarta wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2007, at 10:30 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> Good point. But I'm pretty sure Xrender is supported on any Linux
>> nowadays
>
> Darwin/Mac OS X?
> {Free,Net,Open}BSD?
> Solaris?
> IRIX?
> OSF/1?
> HP/UX?
> AIX?
> Maemo?

Well, that's what autoconf is for, isn't it? But I don't know on what
systems people run the stock VM so perhaps we do need to be more
cautious. If you think autoconf is insufficient to cover this, we
could rewrite the code using dlopen() to remove the static dependency.

>> - it is in the X server for close to 7 years now (since XFree86
>> 4.0.1).
>
> Which means it's probably a safe bet for Desktops, but what about
> tiny/embedded devices?
>
> Maybe the command-line option to turn on detection/use is what's
> needed.  (I'm assuming your automated build can run configure with
> any options it wants.)

Sure, that would be no problem. OTOH, I think we should support this
by default if the system supports it, and not only for folks who
compile their VM themselves.

- Bert -