[Vm-dev] SqueakVM help for OLPC

Chris Petsos chrispetsos at sch.gr
Wed May 16 08:26:10 UTC 2007

I've let the contents of the Event Buffer be output to the transcript and
this is what i got...
I pressed this series of characters:
                abcA
and i got...

--------------
#(2 7187859 65 1 0 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7187859 97 0 0 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7187937 65 2 0 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7188656 66 1 0 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7188656 98 0 0 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7188734 66 2 0 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7189375 67 1 0 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7189375 99 0 0 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7189484 67 2 0 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7190890 16 1 1 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7191031 65 1 1 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7191031 65 0 1 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7191125 65 2 1 0 0 0)
--------------
--------------
#(2 7191218 16 2 0 0 0 0)
--------------

It looks like the last three data members (including the utf32Code) are
never set...
>   int utf32Code; /* UTF-32 unicode value */
>   int additionCharacterData; /* Additional data about charcter for
> platform specific tweak dispatching */
>   int windowIndex; /* host window structure */

This seems to confirm your claim John...

> I could be wrong but after this discussion  utf32Code was never used
> by the Windows VM, well other than setting it to zero?
>
> However in working with Sophie we found some shortcoming, and I had
> suggest this change (below) but was told Windows doesn't support it.

OK, first step is to make the utf32 value enter the VM...or use the
additionalCharacterData data member take the true Unicode value of each
character (thus preserving compatibility with MacRoman input). Don't know
exactly what i'm going to do after wards but... let's start from there...

Any suggestions how can i work around this?

Christos