[Vm-dev] SqueakVM help for OLPC

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Mon May 21 18:50:54 UTC 2007

  Hello,

> > We are trying to make Squeak work with Unicode...Yoshiki Ohshima has
> > been very helpful till now and his suggestion was to let all the data
> > that the platform (e.g. Windows, Unix etc...) is sending,  enter the
> > Squeak VM as is and deal with them there (in the image side) with
> > InputInterpreter classes.
>
> Yeah, I know, for some strange historical reason the Japanese folks
> like this approach ;)
>
> I much prefer the very simple solution that John put into the Mac VM
> - add a char32 field to each KeyStroke event containing the unicode
> value. Nice and simple.

  If we can replace all VMs, that would do.  Of course, the image can
check the VM version so that they can install proper "interpreter"
(including non-interpreting one for later VMs.)

  It should be better to use pre-composed chars for these chars, but
I'm not entirely sure if it makes sense for all different input
methods.

-- Yoshiki