[Vm-dev] SqueakVM help for OLPC

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Tue May 22 05:37:29 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 16 May 2007 12:39 am, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On May 15, 2007, at 20:51 , Chris Petsos wrote:
> > We are trying to make Squeak work with Unicode...Yoshiki Ohshima has
> > been very helpful till now and his suggestion was to let all the data
> > that the platform (e.g. Windows, Unix etc...) is sending,  enter the
> > Squeak VM as is and deal with them there (in the image side) with
> > InputInterpreter classes.
>
> Yeah, I know, for some strange historical reason the Japanese folks
> like this approach ;)

This woud be a preferred approach for Indic languages too. The ability to
switch layouts through hotkeys is crucial because of multiplicity of
languages (over 23!). I could start a paragraph in Kannada layout, switch to
US layout for English and arabic numerals, use Devanagari for Hindi and then
revert to Kannada, all in a single sentence.

Currently, lack of Indic support in Squeak is a showstopper for public schools
in my area.

Regards .. Subbu