[Vm-dev] SqueakVM help for OLPC

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue May 22 06:32:59 UTC 2007

Hi Chris -

Chris Petsos wrote:
> Follow these to make your VM (in Windows) unicode capable...
> +/* Force Unicode WM_CHAR */
> +SetWindowLongW(stWindow,GWL_WNDPROC,GetWindowLong(stWindow,GWL_WNDPROC));
> +SetWindowLongW(consoleWindow,GWL_WNDPROC,GetWindowLong(consoleWindow,GWL_WN
> DPROC));

Have you tried handling WM_UNICHAR instead of tricking the VM into
Unicode mode? If you do what you did above some other messages come in
with Unicode args too and while this may be desirable at some point I'm
not sure if we want this right away. For the time being I'd feel safer
if we would handle WM_UNICHAR explicitly. Also, WM_UNICHAR uses
(according to the docs) UTF-32 instead of UTF-16 as in your code. This
might come in handy at some point.

> What do you say we start maintaining a Unicode version of the Squeak VM for
> Windows and Unix...

I'm happy to fold the fixes into the mainstream version.

Cheers,
   - Andreas