[Vm-dev] Unicode clipboard

Chris Petsos chrispetsos at sch.gr
Tue May 22 10:18:34 UTC 2007

> Michael Rueger wrote:
> > Chris Petsos wrote:
> >> Any quick ideas on how we can handle unicode text from and to the
> >> system clipboard with Squeak?
> >
> > There has been some work done in Sophie, currently being integrated with
> > the OLPC image.
>
> I'm working only for X11 (linux) with the OLPC.
> If you want try on Mac or Win32 soon, see System-Clipboard-Extended
> category in Sophie.
>
> - Takashi

>From what i saw System-Clipboard-Extended package uses UTF Converters for
the internal representation of the data.
The thing is that we are trying to create a VM where the internal
representation of the characters will be Unicode.
This means that the VM we use is sending unicode charcodes to the image, we
use unicode fonts etc...
So, a UTF interpreted string will not display properly in our image. Unless,
we use interpreters for our Unicode chars...
I think we will have to patch the VM again so that the clipboard related
methods send again unicode streams to the image.
Don't know which solution of the two is more desirable...

The related methods that are called when putting to or getting something
from the clipboard are
    int clipboardSize(void)
    int clipboardWriteFromAt(int count, int byteArrayIndex, int startIndex)
    int clipboardReadIntoAt(int count, int byteArrayIndex, int startIndex)

in
    sqWin32Window.c

Any help on that Diomidis?

Christos.