[Vm-dev] Unicode clipboard in Windows

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue May 29 11:35:16 UTC 2007

On May 29, 2007, at 12:33 , Chris Petsos wrote:

> Ok i am trying to brake down the clipboard-responsible code so that
> i can add unicode clipboard support.

Did you succeed with the keyboard input, yet?

Take a look at the ExtendedClipboard classes and plugin that Takashi
ported from Sophie to OLPC.

> Now what in earth is THIS?
>     (!(((s & 1) == 0) && (((((usqInt) (longAt(s))) >> 8) & 15) >= 8)))

You should not try to derive meaning from this generated C code but
look at the original sources.

> I think i am starting to abandon the fully-unicode vision and
> follow your instructions from the start to use code pages and
> preserve the internal representation of Squeak...
> I don't think that i will be able to make everything unicode in a
> life time (does it worth it?)...

We will definitely have unicode support in the OLPC version. Right
now, we can already copy/paste and drag/drop unicode text from other
applications into Squeak.

We generally prefer solutions that are portable to other platforms,
although the core OLPC developers will probably not spend too much
time on other platforms.

- Bert -