[Vm-dev] Unicode clipboard in Windows

Chris Petsos chrispetsos at sch.gr
Tue May 29 14:59:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 13:35 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>  On May 29, 2007, at 12:33 , Chris Petsos wrote:
>
> > Ok i am trying to brake down the clipboard-responsible code so that
> > i can add unicode clipboard support.
>
> Did you succeed with the keyboard input, yet?

Yes, but i couldn't handle WM_UNICHAR. We did it the other way...

 +/* Force Unicode WM_CHAR */

+SetWindowLongW(stWindow,GWL_WNDPROC,GetWindowLong(stWindow,GWL_WNDPROC));

+SetWindowLongW(consoleWindow,GWL_WNDPROC,GetWindowLong(consoleWindow,GWL_WN
 DPROC));

> Take a look at the ExtendedClipboard classes and plugin that Takashi
> ported from Sophie to OLPC.
>
> > Now what in earth is THIS?
> >     (!(((s & 1) == 0) && (((((usqInt) (longAt(s))) >> 8) & 15) >= 8)))
>
> You should not try to derive meaning from this generated C code but
> look at the original sources.
>
> > I think i am starting to abandon the fully-unicode vision and
> > follow your instructions from the start to use code pages and
> > preserve the internal representation of Squeak...
> > I don't think that i will be able to make everything unicode in a
> > life time (does it worth it?)...
>
> We will definitely have unicode support in the OLPC version. Right
> now, we can already copy/paste and drag/drop unicode text from other
> applications into Squeak.

Only for the Unix version i suppose...

> We generally prefer solutions that are portable to other platforms,
> although the core OLPC developers will probably not spend too much
> time on other platforms.

This means that i am all alone for the Windows front? Why is that?
I just want to state that i am not a Windows fan (although new to
Linux...about three months...OLPC was the cause...i am loving it
though), but...at least here in Greece... many teachers have no
experience with Unix platforms and i don't know if they are willing to
start using Linux just for eToys. I am just saying that i am afraid that
utilisation of the eToys platform may end up in failure if we don't
support the Windows version too .
I know it's not your responsibility for the OLPC to succeed, nor the
core OLPC developers will ever spend much time on the Windows version
but shouldn't we consider what we are trying to accomplish here in a
more general manner?
What do you say?

Christos.