[Vm-dev] linux 64bit vm running a 32 bit images - networking vm crash

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu May 31 01:17:28 UTC 2007

I don't want a 4GB image, but I may want a lot of normal-sized Squeak
images running on a piece of "big-iron".  But I guess the current VM's
have some problem where the oop was defined as signed, so images
cannot even *reside* above 1GB (or whatever it is).

So even if that was fixed, that would take 32-bit Squeak up to 4GB
boundary, only if all 32-bits were for the oop.

... I saw this ad on the back of InfoRag earlier today.  Some IBM
blade, multi-Xeon-multi-core, up to 48GB high-speed RAM, "starting" at
$2K.  Cool, this could probably run a lot of images simultaneously,
but how far could you go with 32-bit Squeak on this?