[Vm-dev] linux 64bit vm running a 32 bit images - networking vm crash

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu May 31 08:18:17 UTC 2007

On May 31, 2007, at 5:22 , Chris Muller wrote:

> Cool, I think you're saying, once the signed oop is fixed, there
> should be no problem with memory locations beyond 4GB.

No - each process in the operating system gets their own virtual
memory space. As long as your image is not larger than 4 GB you can
run the 32-bit version, but as many copies of it as RAM+Swap allows.
Each one will see its address space starting at 0 going up to 4 GB.
There is no "memory locations beyond 4GB" for a 32 bit process, but
the big irons can run many of them.

- Bert -